Prince Harry and Meghan will not return as working members of royal family


As a result, the honorary military appointments and royal patronages held by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be revoked and redistributed among working members of the royal family, the palace said in a statement.

The Queen has “written confirming that in stepping away from the work of the Royal Family, it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service,” the statement said.

“While all are saddened by their decision, the Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family,” the palace said.

The couple stepped back from official royal duties in January 2020 and moved to North America, a rare move for senior royals.

Since then, they have launched their own media ventures, and announced earlier this week that they will take part in an interview with Oprah Winfrey — their first sit-down appearance since leaving London.

A spokesman for the couple said Friday that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex “remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world” and have “offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role.”

“We can all live a life of service. Service is universal,” the spokesman added.

The announcement comes just days after the couple revealed that they are expecting their second child.
Prince Philip, the Queen’s husband and Harry’s grandfather, is currently in a London hospital as a “precautionary measure” after feeling unwell.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *